Man and woman facing assault, forcible confinement charges
Published Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:02AM MST
Last Updated Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:49PM MST
Investigators with the Edmonton Police Service Hate Crimes unit have laid charges against two people, after a young woman was allegedly held against her will earlier this year.
Police said the investigation started after officers responded to a call regarding a family dispute in a south side home at about 11:30 p.m. on Monday, February 6.
When officers arrived, they found a 21-year-old woman, who was forcibly confined in her house.
It’s believed the woman was being forced into an arranged marriage outside of Canada, and when she refused, she was allegedly assaulted, and then held in the home against her will.
On Thursday, the EPS Hate Crimes unit said they had laid multiple charges against two people:
- A 59-year-old man was facing two counts of assault with a weapon, and one count each of forcible confinement and assault
- A 49-year-old woman is facing one charge each of forcible confinement and assault
The names of the accused have been withheld, to protect the identity of the victim.
Both have been scheduled to appear in court on December 19.