RCMP officer charged in shooting
Published Friday, November 9, 2012 11:47AM MST
Last Updated Friday, November 9, 2012 1:03PM MST
Following a lengthy independent investigation into a shooting last year in the Boyle area, an RCMP officer is facing a number of charges.
On Friday, the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team announced that RCMP Constable Jason Clace was facing six charges – connected to a September 23 shooting.
ASIRT officials said their investigators were called in to investigate the shooting because of the officer’s involvement in the incident.
Investigators found the officer shot his police service handgun, during a traffic stop within Boyle – injuring the male driver of the vehicle that was stopped.
As a result of the investigation, Const. Clace is facing one count each of reckless discharge of a firearm, discharging a firearm with intent to wound, maim or disfigure, aggravated assault, use of a firearm while committing an indictable offence and careless use of a firearm.
RCMP said the officer was placed on administrative duties immediately after the incident, pending the outcome of the ASIRT investigation.
Now, his duty status is under review, however RCMP said that is standard procedure, and not a disciplinary measure.
Const. Clace has been released on a notice to appear – and his next court appearance has been scheduled for December 11 in Boyle.