More than two years after a young man died while in police custody, the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) has cleared Edmonton Police Service officers of wrongdoing.

Just after 9 p.m. on April 29, 2015, security staff at the City Centre Mall arrested a 25-year-old man for trespassing on mall property, ASIRT said the man appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and resisted attempts to take him into custody – security staff called in assistance from Edmonton police.

Two officers arrived and took the man into custody, and he was placed into a marked police vehicle.

ASIRT said the man had failed to follow directions, resisted removal from a cell, a search and being taken to the vehicle. The suspect was also seen twisting and trying to pull away, even letting his body weight fall to the floor.

While the officers were taking the man to Downtown Division, an officer called ahead for assistance, and a number of officers assisted, two approached the vehicle when it arrived, and four officers had to use force to get the man into handcuffs and leg restraints.

Paramedics were called in to assess the man and determine if he required medical treatment. He was conscious going into the detention area, and was placed on the floor in the recovery position.

At this point, ASIRT said EPS officers noticed he was unconscious, and in medical distress 0 they started performing lifesaving measures.

Paramedics had not yet arrived at the station, when they did; they took the man to hospital.

ASIRT said his condition couldn’t be stabilized, and he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy found the man had “somewhat advanced coronary artery disease” for a person of his age, and toxicology results found the presence of methamphetamine in his blood.

In addition, a baggie, which tested positive for methamphetamine was found his stomach.

The cause of death was attributed to excited delirium brought on by methamphetamine toxicity.

ASIRT said the use of restraints did not play a role in the man’s death.

According to ASIRT, the officers involved were lawful in the execution of their duties and no charges will be laid.