Elementary school evacuated after north Edmonton gas leak
A north Edmonton elementary school was evacuated Tuesday morning after a gas leak in the area.
ATCO told CTV News a gas line was hit by a contractor in the area of 148 Avenue and 118 Street, and Edmonton Fire Rescue responded at 9:16 a.m.
An Edmonton Public Schools spokesperson said Caernarvon Community Elementary School was evacuated and students were taken to the Katherine Therrien Catholic Elementary School gym, located on 150 Avenue and 118 Street.
Parents were notified and asked to pick up their children at the gym’s south door.
EPCOR shut off power in the area of the gas leak for safety at 10:28 a.m.
The outage impacted 3,400 buildings, including two schools: Katherine Therrien, and St. Timothy School, located on 143 Avenue and 117 Street.
Classes continued at both schools, but parents were allowed to pick up their kids if they wanted to, an Edmonton Catholic School District spokesperson said.
Power and gas have been restored.