Here's how Alberta's COVID-19 vaccine lottery will work
Some of the ins and outs of Alberta's COVID-19 vaccine lottery – which will see three people win $1 million – were revealed Monday.
The first seven-digit prize will be drawn on the day Alberta drops most COVID-19 restrictions, Day 1 of Stage 3 reopening.
Registration opened Monday at noon and will remain open until one week after the province reaches 70 per cent first-dose mass immunization.
Registration for the second $1-milion prize will close Aug. 24, and for the third grand prize on Sept. 23.
Each winner will have to provide proof of immunization. For the second and third prizes, winners will need to provide proof of their full immunization.
Other non-cash prizes, Premier Jason Kenney said during a news conference on Monday, will be announced in the coming weeks.
"We knew a point would come when we would run out of low-hanging fruit in terms of people who were eager to get the jab, and we reached that point about a week, two weeks ago," he said.
"Now it's a game of inches. We just have to get every single person we can."
HOW IT WORKS
All Albertans aged 18 and older will be eligible to register.
Kenney said the province was exploring other programs for youth aged 12 to 17 who had been immunized.
Albertans need only register online once and they are automatically entered into all of the draws. They may register for someone else. At that point, no proof of vaccination will be needed. Health Minister Tyler Shandro said that was a design decision to make the process as easy as possible and less burdensome on administration. Instead, ID, proof of residency and immunization record will only be needed to claim a prize.
According to Shandro, the government considered several different prize schemes but after consulting lottery drafting experts and Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis, concluded the "if we had three prizes of a million each, then that was going to be enough for us to get enough folks to register for this lottery."
Those who not allowed to register include: MLAs and their family members; political staff employed by the premier; and public service workers or contractors and employees of contractors who were involved in designing the lottery.
Albertans with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine – which only requires one dose – will be eligible for all the draws.
Any $1-million winner will not be eligible to win other prizes.
The second and third $1-milliion prizes are scheduled to be drawn on Aug. 31 and Sept. 30.
Full contest rules are available at the registration page.
As of 4 p.m. on Monday, nearly 270,000 Albertans had registered for the lottery.
WILL A LOTTERY WORK?
The slowing vaccine uptake is presenting a time crunch to the government that wants to be fully open for summer.
Kenney said some 48,300 people need to be vaccinated before Alberta reaches its 70 per cent benchmark to ease restrictions. According to the latest data, 68.7 per cent of the eligible population had been vaccinated with at least one dose.
"If we are to have a fully back-to-normal Canada Day, we have to hit 70 per cent first dose vaccination no later than this coming Thursday. Thursday, June 17," the premier said.
He said according to government polling, 85 per cent want or are open to getting the COVID-19 shot, so it's a matter of winning over the last 15 per cent.
"Many of them are younger men. They are typically not opposed to the vaccine; they say they're likely to get it, but I don't know. They've got busy lives or it's just not a priority. A lot of those guys probably don't worry too much about their health. We just need to them to get a sense or urgency," Kenney speculated.
But an Edmonton ICU physician believes mistrust is a larger factor amongst the remaining unvaccinated population.
"Not to sound biblical, but you reap what you sow, and this government has sowed a lot of mistrust in experts and in science," Dr. Darren Markland told CTV News Edmonton after the news conference.
"The other thing is when you look at the population who tends to be vaccine hesitant, about half of them are just people who are not well informed -- and you may be able to influence them. But the other half are frank deniers and that's going to do nothing," he said, adding, "The value of this undertaking is minimal. In fact, it's pandering."
Kenney announced the province's plan to incentivize residents over the weekend in a video message recorded at an empty Edmonton EXPO Centre, the capital city's largest immunization clinic.
An associate professor in University of Calgary's law faculty and Cumming School of Medicine said while the lottery could encourage more Albertans to get vaccinated, it may also be seen as affirming by anti-vaxxers or a political move.
"(Some) feel like 70 per cent vaccination target is not based on public heath evidence but rather was an arbitrary number that was designed to get us to certain summer activities like the Stampede, and that the government is all of a sudden is trying to push us towards that 70 per cent through collecting vaccine data from snowbirds … and now creating this lottery," Lorian Hardcastle told CTV News Edmonton.
She also said a lottery may set a precedent or expectation, rather than increasing public trust in vaccination. Markland agreed, calling the lottery a precedent with long-reaching implications for other aspects of medicine.
"We don't pay people to donate blood. People die from not getting organ transplants and we refuse to pay donors. So why is getting 1.5 per cent of the population vaccinated worth $3 million?" the ICU doctor asked.
Kenney told media on Monday he always expected a drop off in participation and the significance of second doses was the reason his government tied the second and third draws to full immunization.
"It's not just for the last two per cent to get us to this 70 per cent target for Stage 3."
Manitoba was the first Canadian province to announce a COVID-19 vaccine lottery with $2 million in prizes.
With files from CTV News Edmonton's Adam Lachacz and CTV Calgary
Edmonton Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Those who knew Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor say they are elated now that both Canadians are finally home after being detained in China for more than 1,000 days.
While the saga regarding the detainment of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor by Chinese authorities may be at an end, the political fallout between the two countries as a result of it remains unclear.
While the release of the Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig is reason for celebration, there are many other Canadians still detained in China, with at least four having been sentenced to death.
An executive of Chinese global communications giant Huawei Technologies returned from Canada Saturday night following a legal settlement that also saw the release of two Canadians held by China, potentially bringing closure to a nearly 3-year-long feud embroiling Ottawa, Beijing and Washington.
A father and son have embarked on a 1,000-kilometre journey, on foot, to retrace the path their ancestors took when they escaped the residential school system and promote accountability of the Catholic Church.
The employment insurance system is set for another round of pandemic-related changes that come into force on Sunday.
With Alberta’s health care system now the focus of a military mission, the people who work within it are reaching a breaking point as stress compounds with negative patient interactions.
The demographic makeup of COVID-19 cases in B.C. has shifted dramatically in recent weeks, with children under 10 years old now making up the biggest share of confirmed new infections in the province.
Family members and friends of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig can finally breathe a sigh of relief as the pair landed safely on Canadian soil for the first time in more than 1,000 days.
An Alberta Court of Queen's Bench justice has ruled that prospective jurors in an upcoming sexual assault trial in Calgary will be excused if they're not vaccinated against COVID-19.
A family of eight in now has a fully-furnished home thanks to two non-profits in Calgary, part of the Four Seasons of Hope project.
Humboldt Broncos bus crash father and organ donor advocate, Toby Boulet, is calling the province suspension of its organ donation program “devastating.”
For seven straight days Saskatchewan has reported record high COVID-19 hospitalizations, while also adding 492 new reported cases on Saturday.
The sixth annual National Drive Electric Week celebration in Regina aimed to dissolve common misconceptions around electric cars and promote their benefits for the environment.
New Brunswick is announcing another COVID-19 related death, as well as 61 new cases on Saturday.
Prince Edward Island announced one new COVID-19 case on Saturday.
Nova Scotia is scheduled to move into Phase 5 of its recovery plan on October 4 if all goes according to plan.
A B.C. man who was wrongfully jailed in China back in 2014 is offering his advice to Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor upon their return to Canada.
B.C. family stranded in Latvia since the start of the pandemic hopes to bring infant son home for medical treatment
When Alexander Krstovic posted the online fundraiser to cover the cost of flying his infant son with complex medical needs from Latvia to Vancouver, he wasn't expecting much. The response he received blew him away.
Homicide investigators have been called to Maple Ridge after a body was discovered inside a burning pickup truck in the city early Saturday morning.
Despite nearly $20 million spent over the last five years to solve homeless issues in the North Bay area, a new report finds the funding has not provided many benefits for those experiencing homelessness.
Every year, the Ontario Heritage Trust works with communities throughout the province to open up unique and fascinating cultural sites so that the public can explore and learn about the history behind closed doors.
Sudbury police officers, retirees, civilians, volunteers, family, and friends took part in a peace officers memorial awareness run on Saturday. The event is part of a national event to honour peace officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
A Manitoba family is advocating for the province to cover a potentially life-changing treatment option for people living with Cystic Fibrosis.
A disturbing new report shows cases of sextortion have increased by 62 per cent over the last six months, with teen boys being the biggest target.
Two more Vancouver Island schools have been added to the regional health authority's list of COVID-19 clusters.
Mail ballots in one of British Columbia's most hotly contested ridings have confirmed the loss of one of the Green Party's two incumbent MPs heading into the election, and a victory for the NDP candidate in the riding.
John Ryzebol plays for more than just his ever-expanding family (two children, seven grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren). Since the start of the pandemic, he's been taking musical rides around the neighbourhood, playing harmonica from his scooter every day.
On Friday, the Ontario Ministry of Health (MOH) announced that they would now provide coverage for Trikafta, a drug that has been heralded as "golden goose" of cystic fibrosis treatments but can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Peel Public Health is asking guests that attended a wedding in the Greater Toronto Area last week to seek testing and self-isolate due to a confirmed COVID-19 exposure.
Overnight crimes involving gunfire, assault leave 19-year-old dead, another injured, and two arrested in Montreal
One person has died, injuries are being monitored and bullet casings were found following a slew of what appear to be violent crimes occurring overnight in Montreal.
Actor Guillaume Lemay-Thivierge announced Friday that his 12-year relationship with Hyundai-Canada is over in the wake of his decision to wait for approval of a Quebec-made vaccine.
After passage of a new law to limit anti-vax protests, a man picketed Quebec City high-school students anyway, while on Saturday, hundreds of Montrealers protested the new law.
A combination of an afternoon rain, and a heavy police presence limited the amount of party-goers at Western University's Homecoming.
The Talbot Street Bridge claimed another victim Friday afternoon.
With public safety measures in place, university students in Waterloo Region gathered on Saturday for the first homecoming weekend since 2019.
Waterloo Regional Police have identified 18-year-old Joshua Bennett from Etobicoke as the man who was found dead in Kitchener on Friday morning.
A plan to build a three-story addition to the Preston Church of the Nazarene has drawn mixed reaction from Cambridge residents.