A man in his 20s is facing a number of charges, after a vehicle left running in a south Edmonton parking lot was stolen, with an infant in the back seat – the entire ordeal a hard lesson for the baby’s mother.

Suzie Kaddu talked to CTV News Tuesday, less than a day after the vehicle with her 8-month-old daughter still inside was stolen from a south side parking lot.

“It happened so fast, it really happened so fast,” Kaddu said.

Kaddu told CTV News she and a friend took the little girl, named Keturah, to get her ears pierced Monday night.

Afterwards, the little girl was crying, so they drove to Value Village on Whyte Avenue and 89 Street to buy her a toy.

The two adults went into the store, and left the car running with the doors unlocked – with a plan to stay inside for a few minutes..

“We left her in the car because I didn’t want to take her out, she had cried, I didn’t want the cold to hit her,” Kaddu said.

“I left her in the car, I knew I was only going to stay in there for five minutes.”

When Kaddu and her friend came out of the store, they discovered the vehicle was gone.

“I couldn’t believe I wasn’t going to see her again,” Kaddu said. “I was so scared. So [very scared].”

Police said officers were called to the store at about 5:45 p.m. Monday once the theft was reported – the description of the car quickly broadcast and the vehicle was found by a Canine Unit a short time later.

The suspect stopped at the McDonald’s on 87 Avenue and 109 Street, where police apprehended the suspect and found the child, who was still in the back seat.

James Bachnick, 23, was arrested and charged with theft under $5,000, criminal flight, possession of stolen property and two counts of breach of conditions.

The quick end to the terrifying ordeal was a relief for Kaddu.

“I felt relieved so much, because I thought maybe the guy was just going to drive and drive and drive,” Kaddu said.

Meanwhile, the alleged car thief has been charged, but there’s a chance Kaddu face charges of child endangerment.

“We will be doing an in-depth investigation into all the details surrounding this, how long the child was alone in the vehicle, the proximity the parents were to the vehicle,” EPS Sgt. Gary Willits said. “Once we get all the details, we’ll make a decision at that point.”

Kaddu said she’s learned her lesson.

“I don’t advise anyone else to do it ever again, because it’s hard. You come and find your daughter is gone, it’s really hard. It [terrified me] so much.”

With files from Breanna Karstens-Smith and Nicole Weisberg