Lockdown lifted at Lloydminster schools
Published Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:54AM MDT Last Updated Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:36PM MDT
Safety measures taken at Lloydminster-area schools, enacted after a convicted sexual offender went off the radar in the area, were lifted Thursday.
The two-day lockdown started after Michael Sean Stanley, 48, cut off his electronic monitoring bracelet and left it in Lloydminster.
Stanley had been convicted for sexual offences, and is wanted for breaching conditions.
RCMP said Stanley had left Edmonton Tuesday morning, but police lost track of him after he removed his electronic monitoring device – it was found on the roof of a business in Lloydminster.
School officials in that city reacted by placing schools in the area on lockdown, as Stanley had a history of taking children from playgrounds.
On Thursday, the lockdown was lifted, although school officials said extra supervision will continue.
RCMP are still searching for Stanley, but it’s not believed that he’s in the Lloydminster area – police said they had no leads on his location.