Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - CTV Television reaches over 1.2 million viewers across north central Alberta.
CFRN TV signed-on at 3:00 pm on October 17th 1954, on channel 3 with 27,400 watts of power. With one live camera presentation from the transmitter room, CFRN-TV became Edmonton's first, and Alberta's second TV station. The station was owned by Dr. G. R. A."Dick" Rice, pioneer Edmonton broadcaster who put the city's first radio station on the air in 1922.
Being far from the U. S. border, there was no other TV signal available and receiver set sales soared as the station began programming as an affiliate of the CBC.
In May of 1957, CFRN-TV fed the first Alberta network program - the official opening of the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.
The live network arrived via microwave in 1957 in time for the World Series Baseball.
October 1st 1961, CFRN-TV became an affiliate of the CTV Network via microwave network in hours when the CBC was not using it, and time-delaying programs via videotape.
Network colour transmission started September 1966 with local colour facilities for program and commercial production being installed in 1970, and mobile colour television unit became operational in 1975.
Over the years, the original building housing the TV studios has been expanded three times, and by 1975, "Broadcasting House" contained all of Sunwapta Broadcasting Limited stations, CFRN-TV, CFRN-AM and CKXM-FM.
In 1988, Dr. Rice sold his interests to another pioneering Canadian Company, Electrohome Limited of Kitchener, Ontario founded by a contemporary, Carl A. Pollock.
Four years later, Electrohome sold the two radio stations CFRN-AM and the former CKXM-FM, now CFBR-FM to Standard Broadcasting of Toronto.
When Sunwapta expanded again in 1990, consolidating the operations, the new facility was nearly two acres in area. Soon after the purchase by Electrohome, the Sunwapta name disappeared and the station was legally CFRN Television - a division of Electrohome.
Long time Edmontonians still reminisce about such programs as the Noon Show of the 1950s-60s with Don Brinton, Ed Kay, Norris MacLean and George Kidd. Morning Magazine started when the station went on the air in 1954 with Laura Lindsay who was followed by Virginia Macklin. It became Day by Day with Terry Lynne Meyer who was replaced in 1994 by Seanna Collins.
Also in 1990, CFRN-TV established regional newscasts with reporters/photographers located in Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray and Red Deer. Twice each weeknight, regional newscasts within the body of Eyewitness News were simultaneously directed to the three aforementioned areas of Alberta.
1997 saw Baton Broadcasting and Electrohome merge, with Baton assuming Electrohome's stations in exchange for Baton Shares. In 1999 Baton Broadcasting succeeds in acquiring all CTV shares and changes its corporate name to CTV Inc, and by 2000, BCE (Canada telephone giant) through its subsidiary BGM (BellGlobeMedia) purchases CTV Inc. for $ 2.3 billion.
In 2004 CFRN TV (CTV Edmonton) began its celebration of 50 years in Edmonton with a fond recollection of the past and a renewed energy and commitment to continue serving North central Alberta for many years to come.
18520 Stony Plain Road
Edmonton, Alberta T5S1A8