Occupational Health and Safety officials have issued a stop-work order to an Edmonton-based rail company, after three workers were struck by a train, and had to be rushed to hospital.

CTV News has learned A & B Rail Services Ltd. was issued a stop-work order on track cleaning and maintenance work, which involves the use of noise-generating equipment.

The news came on the same day officials with the company released a statement a day after three of their employees were seriously injured when a train hit them Wednesday morning.

The workers were clearing snow from rail switches at the Cloverbar yard, in the area of Meridian Street and Hayter Road at about 9 a.m. Wednesday when the incident happened.

A statement from A & B Rail Services Ltd., the company that employed the workers, confirmed they were performing regular contract maintenance for CN Rail at the time.

Police told CTV News on Wednesday that the train in the incident was travelling eastbound on the tracks at about 40 kilometres per hour at the time.

“The engineer saw these people working on the tracks, he blew his whistle,” Temp. Acting Sgt. Terry Cassells said. “He didn’t get a response from them because they were wearing hearing protection and had their snow blowers going.”

Cassells said operators could not stop the train because the tracks were too icy.

In the statement distributed Thursday, a spokesperson for the company said the workers were rushed to hospital by ground ambulance.

Police said at the time two were in critical condition and the third suffered minor injuries.

According to the statement, as of Thursday afternoon, two remained in hospital in stable condition with serious injuries, while the third employee was expected to be released later Thursday.

The president of A & B Rail Services said in the statement:

“We are 100 percent committed to all of our employees, and we will support these three workers throughout their recovery. Our hearts are heavy and our thoughts are with them and their loved ones.”

Meanwhile, Transportation Safety Board officials are heading to the scene to investigate the incident.

Occupational Health and Safety officials are also conducting a separate investigation – the stop-work order will remain in place until the investigation is complete.