As efforts continue to rebuild the Town of Slave Lake, officials are working to find longer-term housing for displaced residents whose homes were destroyed or damaged in the wildfires.

The Town of Slave Lake and the Municipal District of Lesser Slave River, with the help of the Alberta Government, are looking at options for residents of Slave Lake whose homes were destroyed or damaged in the fires.

At the moment, housing options for residents include friends, family, and hotels. An additional 200 nearby camping spaces have also been set aside for area residents.

"I want our citizens to know that we won't rest until we rebuild our community," Mayor of Slave Lake Karina Pillay-Kinnee said in a press release. "We are working closely with the Government of Alberta to get temporary housing in place for our displaced residents. Our hearts go out to everyone who experienced loss during the wildfire."

Although all residents are allowed back into town, the province says those whose homes were damaged are encouraged to keep their existing accommodation until they know their homes are livable while being repaired.

Residents who lost their homes are asked to stay at their current temporary accommodations, and call 780-849-8681 to discuss their housing needs and options

The reeve of the Municipal District of Lesser Slave River says the municipality is looking for interim housing for residents with no home to return to.

A Community Social Centre is open daily in Slave Lake at St. Mary of the Lake School (409 – 6 Ave. S.W.). The centre is open between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and provides a variety of services to support residents who are back in the community. Services and information available include social services and counseling. The centre can be reached at 780-849-8175.

The province has set up an Emergency Accommodation program for those who cannot find and afford temporary housing. The program covers most or all of their housing costs until the end of August.

Most vacant units in Slave Lake have already been taken, so man units available are located in communities surrounding Slave Lake and in Edmonton.

Those displaced residents who require housing have to register with the Red Cross by calling 1-800-565-4483, then complete a housing needs form online then fax it to 780-427-0418.