Teen enters guilty plea to charge related to stabbing death of youth worker
Published Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:30AM MDT Last Updated Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:07PM MDT
A teenager charged in the stabbing death of a Camrose youth worker in 2012 pleaded guilty to second degree murder in a Wetaskiwin courtroom Tuesday.
The teenager boy was in court Tuesday to face charges related to the death of Dianne McClements, 61.
McClements body was found in a Camrose duplex, called the Marler Supported Independent Living Facility, on Saturday, May 12, 2012.
On Tuesday, an agreed statement of facts was read in court with gruesome details of the events of that night.
Court heard McClements’ body was found in the basement pantry, she had been stabbed with more than one knife, and her vehicle had been taken by the suspect.
The teen admitted his actions to three people on that day – and he entered a guilty plea Tuesday, without trial. Because of the acts committed, the Crown Prosecutor will push for an adult sentence.
“It was a stabbing that was the ultimate cause of death,” Crown Prosecutor Ryan Pollard said Tuesday. “The victim’s throat had been cut; there was also some stomping of the victim that resulted in fractures to the victim’s face.”
The victim’s younger sister declined an interview with CTV News, but said she believes an adult sentence in this case is important – an adult sentence would be longer than a youth sentence, and his name would be released to the public, something that is currently not allowed due to the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The teen, then 17-years-old, was arrested on Monday, May 14 – he was charged with killing McClements, and stealing her vehicle.
A psychiatric assessment of the teen has been ordered before sentencing can begin.
The case will be back in Wetaskiwin court in November, after the assessment is completed.
With files from David Ewasuk