'The system failed,' says family of slain Alta. woman, toddler as accused appears in court
Hundreds of people attended court in a small western Alberta town on Tuesday morning for the first appearance of a man charged in the double homicide of a young woman and her toddler.
Robert Keith Major, 53, is facing two charges of second-degree murder in the deaths of Mchale Busch, 24, and her son, Noah.
They were confirmed dead on Friday, Sept. 17, a day after they had been reported missing by loved ones.
In an update Tuesday afternoon, Alberta RCMP Major Crimes said both homicides took place in Major’s apartment the afternoon of Sept. 16, before Hinton police had received a missing persons complaint.
On Tuesday, the crowd outside Edson provincial court fell silent as Cody McConnell, Busch's partner and Noah's father, walked up to the entrance.
"It's unfair. My 16-month old boy was ripped away from me, and my beautiful wife," McConnell told reporters, speaking briefly outside the courthouse.
Mchale Busch, 24, and her son Noah McConnell were confirmed dead by Alberta Mounties on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. The next day, Robert Keith Major, 53, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder and one count of indignity to human remains. (Source: GoFundMe)
"The system failed Mchale and Noah by not letting us know we moved in next to a convicted sexual offender whom the police had reasonable grounds to believe he (would) commit another offence."
Mounties announced on Saturday two charges of second-degree murder against Major, a convicted sex offender who lived in Busch's apartment building in the nearby town of Hinton.
Many of those who stood outside court on Tuesday wore high-visibility vests and jackets; some told CTV News Edmonton they were oilfield workers and colleagues of McConnell. Their company encouraged anyone who wanted to attend.
Those outside the courthouse expressed frustration and anger that Major had been released in Edmonton in 2017 when police had reason to believe he would offend again. At the time, Major was placed under several court-ordered conditions, including a curfew and a ban from being around children.
It is not known when he moved to Hinton, a town of 10,000 about three hours west of Edmonton, or if the community was notified.
In a statement, RCMP said Major had not been subject to any recognizance conditions since July of 2020.
Under Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act, a landlord cannot ask for consent to collect personal information. McConnell and his family want that changed.
"This should never have happened," one worker told CTV News Edmonton.
"We work together, we sleep next to each other in motels. We dine with each other… This is family. And this really hurts. It really hurts that somebody has to wake up in the morning to find his wife and … baby gone."
Another worker added, "At times I want to just about go in the back and cry."
Cody McConnell, 27, hugs a sobbing woman outside Edson provincial court on Sept. 21, 2021, the day Robert Major was scheduled to make his first appearance. Major was charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of McConnell's partner, 24-year-old Mchale Busch, and their toddler, Noah.
At one point, McConnell raised his hand and thanked his "brothers."
Some in the crowd responded, "We stand with you, brother."
Major also faces one count of indignity to human remains. Police are not looking for any other suspects.
On Tuesday, Major was scheduled for another court appearance on Oct. 20 in Hinton.
Family and media did not get to watch Tuesday's proceeding done remotely in Hinton, as they were told it had been scheduled in Edson. The justice department later called the mistake a clerical error.
A fundraiser for the family had exceeded its $15,000 goal as of Tuesday afternoon and sat at more than $56,000.
With files from CTV News Edmonton's Dan Grummett
This story has been edited to correct a statement by Alberta Courts that Robert Major had been denied bail on Sept. 21, 2021. In fact, he was only assigned another court date.
Edmonton Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
The Canadian government has quietly lifted its advisory against non-essential international travel, marking the first time since March 2020 that the notice has been lifted. 'Be aware that although you are better protected against serious illness if you are vaccinated, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19,' the updated advisory states.
Queen Elizabeth II was back at Windsor Castle on Friday and in good spirits after revelations that she spent the night in a London hospital earlier this week.
Search resumes for potential unmarked graves outside former hospital that treated Indigenous patients
A search prompted by ground-penetrating radar is resuming again on land in Edmonton that houses a former hospital where Indigenous patients suffered abuse.
Canadian Blood Services is working to update rules about who can donate and plans to submit a request to Health Canada later this year to abandon time-based requirements for gay and bisexual men.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says red, white, and yellow raw onions from Prosource Produce LLC of Hailey, Idaho are being recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination.
Canadian propane prices are skyrocketing alongside natural gas due, in large part, to growing demand from overseas markets, a price surge analysts say will have a big impact on rural Canadians this winter.
The federal government has announced a suite of changes to the popular income and business support programs put in place during the pandemic and set to expire on Saturday. Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland reminded Canadians on Thursday that the measures were always intended to be 'temporary.'
The search resumes for unmarked graves, Canada quietly updates travel advisories, and new pandemic benefits are on the way. Here's what you need to know to start your day.
Coun. Sean Chu defies calls to step down despite outrage over admitted sexual contact with teenage girl
Embattled Calgary Coun. Sean Chu said during a press conference on Thursday that he will not resign.
Election officials have denied four separate requests for recounts for Monday's civic election, including in Ward 4, the race that re-elected Coun. Sean Chu.
The man wanted in the accused homicide of Calgary's John Smith is now in police custody.
On Wednesday, the Saskatchewan government released its COVID-19 data and modelling which projects what the coming weeks and months could look like in a province that currently has the highest coronavirus-related death rate in Canada.
Indoor gathering limits for private and public events must be implemented immediately as a public health order, according to the Saskatchewan Medical Association.
Two more Saskatchewan residents have died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths related to the virus to 800.
The Saskatchewan government released a statement Thursday morning saying social media posts about ICU patient transfers should be “disregarded” following immense confusion among doctors and officials over planned ICU patient transfers to Ontario.
Regina police have launched an investigation into the city’s 11th homicide of 2021.
The Saskatchewan government has confirmed that three additional ICU patients will be transferred to Ontario over the next three days, bringing the number of patients sent out of province to nine.
N.B. reports 2 more deaths related to COVID-19 as death toll surpasses 100; extends circuit-breaker for 7 days
Two more New Brunswickers have died as a result of COVID-19, raising the death toll in the province to 101 since the pandemic began. The province also extended circuit breaker measures for seven days.
Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting 19 new cases of COVID-19 and 21 recoveries on Thursday, as the number of active cases in the province drops to 163.
Two Nova Scotia students who spent eight months fighting to be repaid rent after they departed their mouse-infested apartment say their case emphasizes the need for legal reforms to protect tenants.
The day after both case-count and death-rate averages rose in B.C., the province's health ministry announced hundreds more cases of COVID-19.
A B.C. supreme court judge has granted the province’s request for a permanent injunction against Rolly's Restaurant in Hope, which remained open and continued to serve customers despite having its business and liquor licences suspended on Oct. 7, for not checking vaccine passports.
B.C. Premier John Horgan seems to be backing away from a steep $25 fee proposed for Freedom of Information requests, while doubling down on controversial legislative changes that would make charging for disclosure possible.
Sudbury police are investigating after a motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian in the Flour Mill area.
Capacity limits on restaurants and gyms in Ontario could be lifted next Monday, as the Ford government considers new measures for establishments that require proof of vaccination certificates, sources say.
Following a manhunt that spanned two days, Manitoba RCMP arrested a suspect deemed a high risk to the general public.
The number of direct-care workers in the province who are on unpaid leave continues to grow.
Health officials identified 61 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region Thursday as hundreds of coronavirus cases remain active in the region.
An expected 'cyclone bomb' has emergency responders bracing for an increase in activity as the storm moves onto Vancouver Island Thursday and into the weekend.
A whale-watching guide on Vancouver Island has been fined thousands of dollars for getting too close to a pod of orcas.
A portion of the TTC'S Line 1 will be closed this weekend due to work on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
Jim Syrbos, co-owner of Square Boy, a decades-old diner on the Danforth, keeps his father’s community-first philosophy alive, even at the worst of times.
A doctor and McGill professor stopped in a no-parking zone in Mount-Royal on Tuesday. It ended with police entering his home, handcuffing him and dragging him out the door in front of his daughters, he says.
An Indigenous land acknowledgement from the Montreal Canadiens last week sent shockwaves through Quebec, with bipartisan backlash from politicians who called the Habs' statement false.
Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery has decided to reopen on Sundays much to the relief of many families.
A 62-year-old St. Marys resident has been charged with first degree murder in connection with the death of a baby more than 35 years ago.
For the second time in two weeks, the Cambridge Medical Pharmacy on King Street East has been vandalized.
Cambridge woman outraged after MPP Randy Hillier falsely claims her sister died due to COVID-19 vaccine
A Cambridge woman is outraged after MPP Randy Hillier falsely claimed her sister died as a result of a COVID-19 vaccine.