Edmonton News | Local Breaking | CTV News Edmonton
This is how local restaurants are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic
EDMONTON -- Many local restaurants are closing their doors this week. Already struggling with the slow economy, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a decisive blow.
But Chartier restaurant in Beaumont is changing its business model in an attempt to support the community and employees.
The small French-Canadian restaurant has closed its dining room and is focusing on delivery and take-out.
"It was a really challenging decision but we felt that it was the right move and the right part that we could play in helping to even things out as much as possible," co-owner Sylvia Cheverie told CTV Morning Live Edmonton.
Customers can order and pay online and pick up their food curbside or at the takeout window.
People in Beaumont and Nisku can also have their food delivered using the third-party vendor Dash Delivers.
The decision will allow the small business to keep most of its 53 employees working.
"We're limiting the amount of contact possible, both for our guests who are trusting us and also for our employees who are trusting us to keep them safe," Cheverie said.
Chartier's online ordering system is now open. Orders can be picked up between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.
Cheverie encouraged people to continue to buy local to help support small businesses like hers. All purchases – including gift cards and merchandise – will help businesses survive this difficult time.
Here is a list of restaurants making changes because of COVID-19:
- Love Pizza is offering pickup only.
- All Sorrentino's and Buco locations are closed.
- The Cabin Pub and Party is closed.
- Evolution Wonderlounge is closed until at least March 26.
- Sherlock Holmes pubs are closed.
- Woodshed Burgers dining room is closed. Take out and delivery are available.
- Workshop Eatery dining room is closed. Take out and delivery are available.
- Rostizado is closed and offering curbside pick up. Their LaMision Burritos are available on Uber Eats.
- Sea Change Brewing is closed to dining. Takeout and delivery are available and they have merchandise.
- XIX Nineteen is closed to dining but offering takeout.
- Downtown Dining Week is cancelled.
- All Earl's locations are closed but offering takeout.
- All Keg Steakhouse and Bar locations are closed.
- Barbarella restaurant is closed.
- Blue Plate Diner is offering delivery.
- Northern Chicken has closed its dining room but is doing deliver and takeout.
- Farrow Sandwiches is offering pickup only.
- Upper Crust Café is open and taking enhanced hygiene measures and offering home delivery
- Rogue Wave Coffee has closed its storefront but is offering pickup.
- King Noodle House (Pho Hoang) is closed until at least the end of March.
- Doan's Vietnamese Restaurant has closed.
- Sugared and Spiced has reduced hours and is taking pre-orders.
- Jacek Chocolate has reduced hours, curb-side pickup and is taking online orders.
- Sweet Lollapalloza is offering delivery and pickup.
- Luisa's Ristorante in St. Albert is offering 10 per cent off pickup orders and has freezable sauces and sausage available.
- Corso 32 has home past kits available.
- Confetti Sweets has curbsite pickup and delivery.
- Baseline Wines in Sherwood Park is still open or can provide delivery for $10.
- Tiffin India's Fresh Kitchen is offering pickup and delivery through Skip the Dishes.
- Bodega Tapas and Wine Bar is offering pickup and delivery through Uber Eats.
- Central Social Hall is offering 25 per cent off pickup and delivery orders.
- Duchess Bake Shop is offering pickup and will soon have delivery options.
- Pickup is available at all Fifendekel Pie Shop Cafe locations in Edmonton.
- Kb&co is offering take-out.
- Nitza Pizza has pickup and delivery.
- Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant has pickup and delivery available.
- Remedy Cafes are offering takeout and delivery.
- RGE RD is offering pickup of items on its At Home Menu.
- Splash Poke has pickup and delivery available.
- The Next Act Pub is closed.
- Tony's Pizza Palace has pickup and offers delivery via Door Dash.
- Continental Treat is offering pickup and delivery.
- The Century Hospitality Group is offering curbside takeout and delivery of menu items from all of its restaurants from its CHG Command Post at Rebel Food Drink, including a daily dinner for two for $100 that launches March 26.
- Sir Winston's Fish and Chips is open for take-out and delivery from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.