Fire hydrants converted into water stations in city pilot project
EDMONTON -- A pilot project in Edmonton is converting fire hydrants into water stations to provide access to free potable water.
The pilot was started to create more free water options throughout the summer for vulnerable Edmontonians.
There will be five water stations as part of the pilot project:
- Giovanni Caboto Park, 109 Avenue and 94 Street
- Michael Phair Park, 104 Street and Jasper Avenue
- Parkdale Square shopping complex, 118 Avenue and 82 Street
- Butler Memorial Park, 100A Avenue and 158 Street
- Strathcona Farmers' Market, 83 Avenue and 104 Street
The water bottle filling stations went into operation July 14.