Officials are investigating after a fire in a garage Wednesday evening left a number of surrounding buildings damaged, and prompted a warning from firefighters on the dangers of some substances often kept in garages.

Firefighters were called to the fire in the area of 103 Street and 167 A Avenue at about 7 p.m. Wednesday.

By the time crews arrived, the fire had engulfed a garage and had spread to a neighbouring garage, and the heat from the flames caused damage to the home, two other garages on the other side of the alley and a shed.

At the fire's peak, ten crews were involved in fighting the blaze and trying to keep it contained.

No one was injured, but the homeowners had to find somewhere else to stay Wednesday night, as some electrical components were compromised in the fire.

Officials said while fire crews were on the scene, there was an explosion inside the garage – it’s not clear if it was connected to the exact cause of the fire.

Fire prevention officers said the incident highlights the need for homeowners to ensure certain safety measures are being followed for the storage of flammable materials.

Safety measures include using a ULC-listed fuel storage container to keep gasoline, and to store paint and other flammable liquids in their original labeled containers, with tight-fitting lids, and keep them away from heaters, appliances and pilot lights.

In addition, officials said homeowners should make sure combustible clutter, such as loose papers, oily rags and trash are kept off the floor.

The damage caused by the fire is estimated at $160,000.