EDMONTON -- The man convicted of aggravated assault in connection with a 2017 road rage incident has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison with credit for time served.

But Jared Eliasson was granted bail immediately after the sentence was handed down, pending an appeal.

A sentencing hearing began Wednesday for Eliasson, 31, who was found guilty in April.

On the morning of March 7, 2017, Eliasson followed Chelsey Schendzielorz home after she honked at him for blocking an intersection, then broke both of her arms with a crowbar.

"I feel sorry for that person. She has been through a lot, and I hope she recovers fully from her injuries," Eliasson said according to a pre-sentence report.

Eliasson, 31, was acquitted of attempted murder, but found guilty of aggravated assault, damage to property and possession of a weapon.   

Schendzielorz gave a written victim impact statement, deciding against reading it aloud in court.

"Just because I look like I am better, I am still piecing my life back together and trying to make sense of what I went through," the statement reads.

She later spoke with reporters outside of court, saying she still hasn't regained the full use of her hands two-and-a-half years after the attack.

"If it was someone like a little old lady that honked her horn or someone smaller than me, I don't think they'd be here," she said.

Crown argued Eliasson had time to think through his actions during the two-and-a-half minutes he followed her.

In court, Eliasson's defence lawyer argued for a sentence of between 18 and 24 months, noting his client's lack of offences in the two years prior to the assault and his completion of a four-day anger management program.

In his decision, the judge referred to a recorded 2017 police interview with Eliasson saying his lack of empathy to his victim was "appalling."

He also noted Eliasson has not taken full responsibility for his actions.

Along with the 3.5-year sentence, Eliasson received 18 months credit for time served, but after being escorted into custody he was almost immediately released on bail because he is seeking a mistrial application.

"I still think he should've got more because I’m stuck like this for the rest of my life," said Schendzielorz. "Once he's done serving, yeah he might have some troubles getting a job or whatever, but he can proceed to do everything as he used to."

She also advised other drivers to get a dashboard camera should they find themselves faced with a road rage driver.

Eliasson declined to address the court during sentencing, but attempted to add something to the record as he was escorted into custody.

"I think not," Justice Adam Germain replied.

With files from CTV News Edmonton's Dan Grummett