Elderly woman killed in house fire
A fire at a north Edmonton home Monday afternoon has claimed the life of a woman in her 80s.
Maria Basarab was killed after a fire broke out at her home near 113th Avenue and 84th Street at about 3 p.m.
Investigators say the lower level of the house was fully engulfed when emergency crews arrived on scene. Crews were able to contain the fire to the basement kitchen.
Fire investigators believe the blaze may have started in the basement ceiling, but electrical experts have been called in to determine the exact cause of the fire.
It's believed the victim Basarab was trapped in the basement. Neighbours say she was very well known in the community.
"People in this area all knew Mrs. Basarab as some little lady who walked the streets and shopped at Save-On," said Lida Lahola, who lives nearby. "She was a real community member."
News of her death is particularly hard to hear this time of year.
"Her daughters really took care of her so she will be very sadly missed," said Lahola.
Damage is estimated at $200,000.