Oilers owner Katz accused of paying 18-year-old dancer for sex in Nevada civil suit
Editor's note: Daryl Katz' name was withdrawn from this lawsuit.
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz is denying ever paying a ballerina $75,000 for "sexual favours," as was alleged in a civil suit filed earlier this month in Nevada.
The lawsuit is a counterclaim filed by a prominent ballerina and her husband, Dusty and Mitchell Button, in response to allegations they committed sexual offences against young dancers under their wing.
The Buttons instead argue they are the victims of a coordinated attack meant to ruin their reputation, and allege that Sage Humphries, the initial complainant, was trafficked by her own parents to older men, including billionaire Katz.
In the court document, the couple's lawyers call Humphries a victim of statutory rape and say, "If Sage is truly the damaged flower she claims to be, the price should be paid – but it should be paid by those who actually engaged in illegal acts with her."
The allegations are largely unsubstantiated in the claim and remain untested in court.
According to the court documents, Humphries originally filed a complaint against Mitchell Button (who is also known by his middle name, Taylor) in the late summer of 2021, later adding Dusty Button as a defendant and several other dancers as complainants.
Dusty, having trained at the American Ballet Theatre in New York and the Royal Ballet School in London, joined the Boston Ballet in 2012, and was soon promoted to principal dancer, the counterclaim lays out. Prior to the allegations, she had amassed an online following of several hundreds of thousands thanks to high-profile media attention and being named Red Bull's first ballerina athlete.
Her husband is a former ballet instructor who pivoted to managing his wife's career and designing and building custom automobiles.
In a May Good Morning America interview, Humphries reiterated the allegation against Mitchell Button: after gaining control over a number of aspects of the young dancer's life under the pretence of managing her, she says he "violated" her for the first time during a movie night.
In their counterclaim, filed July 8, the Buttons instead say they had a "consensual 'throuple' sexual relationship" with Humphries after she turned 18, which she initiated.
"The relationship between Sage and the Buttons appeared, at the time, to be one of mutual love, affection, and respect," the counterclaim reads.
It also says Humphries "fabricated accounts of abuse and shopped them to the press in order to gain her own spotlight of attention and false victimhood to further her floundering dance career."
She and six other complainants "filed this case for the specific purpose of destroying the reputations of Dusty in the dance world and Mitchell in the car industry," the claim continues.
The Buttons also allege Humphries' parents "insisted" she live with them to save money, and knew and approved of the dancer's advances on the married couple believing it would be beneficial to her career.
The court document paints Humphries' parents as fame- and money-hungry manipulators who helped their daughter launder $75,000 paid to her by Katz.
ALLEGATIONS INVOLVING KATZ
The Buttons allege Katz was only one of several older men who had a sexual relationship eight years ago with Humphries. Katz is the only person they accuse of paying Humphries as a prostitute.
Filed with the counterclaim were undated screenshots of text messages supposedly between Humphries and Katz.
A contact called "D K" with a 780 area code – the telephone code most commonly used in northern Alberta – writes that an account with "25K" has been opened.
"I also told them to get you debit card and put some cash on it OR you won't buy yourself anything…..which I want you to do," D K texted.
In another text, D K asks, "If my guys send u funds will u spend it on/keep it for yourself?"
When Humphries – the Buttons allege – promises to keep it, D K asks her to keep the exchange private because "even though u r wise beyond your years given our respective ages it would be taken the wrong way."
Humphries replies, "Yes .. Just between us," and D K texts back, "OK will have one of my guys email u. He will send you 50K."
Katz – who the counterclaim says was 53 years old when he paid Humphries – is now 61 years old.
His lawyer, Robert Klieger, on Thursday said the NHL team owner denies the allegations, ever having a sexual relationship of any kind with Humphries, and ever meeting the Buttons.
"Critically, the allegations against Mr. Katz are not being made by Ms. Humphries. The accusations are instead being made by the Buttons, who Ms. Humphries and six other women have accused of exploiting their position of power and influence in the dance world to sexually abuse young dancers across the country," Klieger said in a statement.
"Their false accusations against him are a transparent and pathetic attempt to distract attention from the abhorrent acts with which they stand charged."
His team did not address the texts Katz allegedly sent Humphries.
Of the messages, Humphries' lawyer told NBC News on Thursday, “I can’t say whether they’re legitimate at this point."
Sigrid McCawley said Humphries and Katz had a "business relationship," not a sexual one.
The two "had been discussing movie projects and that the dancer might have received money from the NHL executive in connection to that proposed business deal," she told NBC News.
In a statement to CTV News, an NHL spokesperson said: "We became aware this week of the civil lawsuit in which Mr. Katz is named as a third party by the defendants in the lawsuit. Mr. Katz has advised us that he categorically denies the allegations. We are in the process of looking into the matter."
BUTTONS WANT DAMAGES
The Buttons do not say in the counterclaim how they obtained the texts or how they came to believe the money was paid as compensation for "sexual favours," as they allege in their counterclaim.
They are asking to be compensated as their reputations have been "unjustly ruined."
Their lawyer Marc Randazza denied CTV Edmonton's request for an interview and more information, writing, "We are not interested in trying this matter in the press."
Randazza calls himself a "first amendment attorney" and is known as a commentator on Infowars and for representing Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist who owns the program.
The Humphries' lawyer, Sigrid McCawley, said in a statement to CTV News that the Buttons' counterclaim serves to "distract and distort the truth."
"The counterclaims the Buttons have filed falsely and recklessly implicate others, including Daryl Katz, and are a factually unfounded attempt to portray the women they abused as liars," McCawley said. "The women I represent who have bravely come forward are telling the truth. We are confident the Buttons will be held accountable."
In the spring, Humphries told Good Morning America she had returned to the Boston Ballet, which she joined in 2017.
A previous version of this article included references to Humphries being 17 at the time of the interactions, a claim made in the civil suit in Nevada. A copy of Humphries drivers’ license has been provided to CTV News, indicating that she was 18 at the time.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Poilievre denounces Diagolon 'losers' over threat of sexual assault against his wife, RCMP 'reviewing'
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he has asked the RCMP to look into 'disgusting' comments made by the founder of a far-right group about sexually assaulting his wife.
Fiona, a category 4 hurricane turned post-tropical cyclone storm, barrelled through Atlantic Canada leaving behind flooded streets, wrecked homes and towns in darkness. CTVNews.ca looks at the data behind the destruction.
A woman from Port aux Basques, N.L., is sharing her story of survival after she was swept under a Jeep and had to be rescued as post-tropical storm Fiona battered the small coastal town.
An 81-year-old man reported missing in Lower Prospect, N.S. is believed to have been swept out to the ocean during post-tropical storm Fiona, according to the RCMP.
A young man shot a Russian military officer at close range at an enlistment office Monday, in an unusually bold attack reflecting resistance to the Russian leadership's efforts to mobilize hundreds of thousands of men to wage war on Ukraine.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is asking Canadians to keep an eye out for an invasive bug that could spell disaster for the country's wineries and fruit growers.
Members of Parliament will be holding an emergency debate in the House of Commons on Monday night, giving MPs a chance to discuss 'the urgent and escalating situation in Atlantic Canada' following the deadly and destructive post-tropical storm Fiona. And, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is making plans to visit the regions impacted 'as soon as possible this week.'
Some Canadian workers are raising concerns about a full return to office and work travel as Ottawa lifts all remaining border restrictions and experts warn of a potentially large wave of new COVID-19 cases this fall.
The data that was accessible included names, emails, usernames, licence plates, and residential addresses – was secured within 20 minutes of them becoming aware of the breach.
Alberta Justice Minister Tyler Shandro says his government will direct RCMP in the province not to enforce the confiscation of newly prohibited firearms from what were once legal owners.
Police believe a comforter could be key to solving a summer homicide that occurred in Calgary's southwest.
'Ridiculous': Saskatoon woman's family frustrated after man accused of killing her appears in court by phone
Robert James Thomas, charged with first-degree murder in the death of Megan Gallagher, made his first appearance in Saskatoon provincial court on Monday — and that's not sitting well with her family.
A shrine has sprung up on the spot where a school bus driver died while pursuing a pair of mass stabbing suspects.
Voters are heading to the polls to cast their ballots in the Saskatoon Meewasin byelection.
A 13-year-old girl is facing numerous weapons charges following an incident at a Regina high school last week.
Saskatchewan Roughriders backup quarterback Jake Dolegala has been charged with impaired driving, according to a statement from the team.
Celeste Leray-Leicht received many condolence gifts after the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that claimed the life of her son, but it was a beaded green and yellow ribbon with a white heart that stood out.
Hundreds of Canadian military personnel are deploying to communities in Atlantic Canada affected by post-tropical storm Fiona to assist with clean-up efforts, the commander of Joint Task Force Atlantic said in a news conference Monday.
Tens of thousands of Islanders are still without power two days after Fiona battered Prince Edward Island.
A 27-year-old man has been charged after police said they found a hidden camera inside the women’s bathroom at a Tim Hortons.
More than 170,000 patients in Ontario lost their family doctors in the first six months of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new study has found.
Travellers flying into Toronto Pearson International Airport will soon no longer need to show proof of vaccination or wear a face mask as of Oct. 1.
Longueuil police (SPAL) say a man has been charged in the deaths of his spouse and their two children, aged five and two, in what they describe as a triple homicide and arson investigation on Montreal's South Shore.
A candidate for Quebec solidaire (QS) apologized Monday after videos surfaced online showing her removing a rival's flyer from a homeowner's mailbox while campaigning.
Montreal's ban on plastic bags will apply to retail stores and restaurants, including those offering take-out and home delivery.
A Halifax couple tied the knot by candlelight after post-tropical storm Fiona made landfall and cut the power the night before the big day.
Ottawa police are asking to speak to anyone who was on OC Transpo bus number 4777 on Route 14 from Tunney's Pasture at around 10:21 p.m. on Sept. 15.
Waterloo regional police are investigating after an 88-year-old woman was found dead in Wilmot Township.
The University of Waterloo is mourning after former student Sara Inam was killed in Pakistan as a result of intimate partner violence, the university said in a media release.
Bear spray discharged, thousands gather and calls for service double during U of G homecoming: Guelph police
The University of Guelph homecoming this past weekend saw thousands gather, calls for service double and at one point bear spray released into a crowd, according to the Guelph Police Service.
A 32-month investigation into illegal moose hunting near Temiskaming, Ont., has ended in convictions for five people, $44,000 in fines and $11,000 in victim surcharges.
CTV News has learned a massive police search has ended for a 58-year-old man who went missing Saturday morning in Sault Ste. Marie after his body was found.
Travellers flying into Toronto Pearson International Airport will soon no longer need to show proof of vaccination or wear a face mask as of Oct. 1.
'We are truly sorry': Leaders, health officials acknowledge Indigenous-specific racism in northern Manitoba's health-care system
Indigenous leaders and northern health officials in Manitoba say Indigenous people continue to face racism in the health-care system, and have signed a declaration committing to eliminate it.
A 45-year-old man from Winnipeg died Saturday following a crash involving six motorcycles.
'A humanitarian and health crisis': St. Boniface Street Links among Manitoba projects receiving $2.5 million in federal funding
Manitoba harm reduction projects will be receiving $2.5 million in funding from the federal government.
A 33-year-old woman was struck in the head with a hammer during a "random attack" in downtown Vancouver over the weekend, according to police.
A letter sent to B.C.'s health minister from a society of radiologists is warning the province could see a 'tsunami of cancer cases' if a delay in medical imaging isn't addressed.
Nearly a dozen temperature records were broken in B.C. Sunday as parts of the province experienced a warm fall weekend.
A Greater Victoria woman has been sentenced to five and a half years behind bars for luring and sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy. The incidents occurred in April 2020, when "Ms. P." and her friend encountered a group of boys from their neighbourhood who asked the women to provide them with alcohol in exchange for some cannabis.
'Better shape than we found it': New BC Transit facility earns environmental recognition in View Royal
BC Transit’s new handyDART Centre has been recognized as Vancouver Islands first "Salmon Safe" site. The certificate was awarded Monday at the View Royal construction site recognizing BC Transit for its efforts integrating water conservation and stormwater management into its redevelopment design, and for the restoration of a stream that runs into the salmon-bearing Craigflower Creek.