Police are investigating two separate homicides that left two men dead early Sunday morning.

Just before 2:30 a.m. police were called to the 170 Street on-ramp to the Whitemud after they received reports of shots being fired at a silver Infiniti G35.

Police say a small white vehicle fled the scene after firing several rounds at the car. A passenger in the Infiniti fled the scene; the driver was pronounced dead by paramedics shortly after.

The victim, a 30-year-old Edmonton man, was well known to police.  "He is well known to police, he is well known to our gang unit and of course that's assisting officers in their investigation," said Edmonton Police spokesperson Karen Carlson. 

Police are not releasing details about what led to the shooting, but they say the incident is believed to be gang related.

Investigators are hoping footage captured on traffic monitoring cameras at the intersection of 170 Street and the Whitemud will help them identify a suspect.  The images are not recording so anyone who may have been monitoring those cameras at that time is asked to call police at 780-423-4567.

Police are following up on leads, but no suspects are in custody. An autopsy has not been scheduled yet.

In a separate unrelated incident a 24-year-old man died following a fight on Whyte Avenue early Sunday morning.

At about 2:45 a.m. police officers stopped a vehicle after they noticed it driving in the wrong direction on Gateway Boulevard near 81 Ave. One of the passengers was suffering from serious stab wounds.  Paramedics took the man to hospital where he later died from his injuries.

Police say the three male passengers in the car were involved in a fight with another group of people just south of Whyte Avenue, between Gateway Boulevard and Calgary Trail, when the victim was stabbed.

The three suspects involved in the stabbing were taken into custody following a vehicle stop.  A 32-year-old man remains in custody with charges pending against him.

Police do not believe the incident was gang or drug-related.

The name of the victim has not been released. An autopsy has not been scheduled yet.

Mayor Stephen Mandel says the two deaths highlight the need for a new committee on crime prevention.

"We need to as a society get far more effective in dealing with the crime prevention side, start spending some time and energy on that," said Mandel.

Police are still investigating, but they have confirmed that both of the deaths are considered homicides.