Officials remind Edmontonians to use licensed taxis
Published Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:55AM MST
City of Edmonton and taxi cab officials are reminding Edmontonians of what to look for when selecting a taxi, to ensure they’re getting into a safe, licensed cab.
The city’s Chief Livery Officer said there are a number of ways to identify a legitimate taxi.
“Licensed cabs are subject to significant scrutiny by the City of Edmonton, Making them a safe option for travelling.” Officer Garry Dziwenka said in a press release.
The city said Edmontonians should look for the following signs, to indicate a taxi and it’s driver have been licensed by the city:
- An ‘Edmonton Taxi’ front license plate
- The name and phone number of the company posted on the door
- A roof light on top of the vehicle
- A City of Edmonton sticker displayed in the front, passenger window
- A City of Edmonton-issued driver’s license displayed inside the vehicle
- The meter inside should be visible
- A meter rate sticker should be visible in the back passenger window
If any of those indicators are not visible, the city said riders should not get in the vehicle.