Crown seeks adult sentences for teens accused in Strathcona deaths
The Crown is seeking adult sentences for two 14-year-old males charged in connection with a double homicide that occurred last week near Ardrossan.
One of the teens has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, and the other male is facing two charges of accessory after the fact to murder.
Both males, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, appeared to the courtroom via closed-circuit television.
The teen facing charges of accessory after the fact to murder elected to be tried by a youth court judge Tuesday morning in a packed Sherwood Park courtroom.
The 14-year-old boy facing two counts of first-degree murder reserved his plea for his next court appearance.
Susan Trudel and 68-year-old Barry Boenke were found dead east of Ardrossan on an acreage last Monday.
Boenke's sister Gerlind Koesling said she was surprised by how young the teenage boys looked.
"I was expecting somebody looking rough, not like little kids that's what they looked like," she said.
Trudel's son Jason Anderson, said he showed up at court to get a glimpse of what the teens look like.
RCMP were led to Boenke's property after Edmonton police pulled over two youths in a pickup truck registered to him last Monday morning.
The 14-year-old teens fled from a nearby treatment facility called Bosco Homes last Sunday.
The province will review the circumstances leading up to the murders to determine whether proper procedures were followed at Bosco Homes.
A formal public meeting involving officials from Bosco Homes, the province and RCMP will be held in Strathcona County.
Both youths will return to court July 14th.
With files from David Ewasuk