EDMONTON -- Fire crews have deemed a fire that resulted in two Whitecourt businesses nearly burning early Thursday morning as not suspicious in nature. 

Flames broke out in KW Pets on Boxing Day just after 3:30 a.m before quickly spreading to the neighbouring Sew Right, according to the Whitecourt Fire Department. 

Crews responded after being alerted by a person walking past the two businesses. 

The building didn't have any fire alarms or sprinklers and its roof was insulated with straw, resulting in a longer burn, according to the fire department. 

An apartment on top of the Sew Right was also destroyed in the fire though no people were injured. It's not clear what kind or how many animals were in the pet store.