Statement of claim filed against Alta. government and minister by Métis settlements council
The Métis Settlements General Council (MSGC) on Tuesday filed a statement of claim in Edmonton Provincial Court against Alberta and Indigenous Relations Minister Rick Wilson.
The council is asking for an interim injunction on Bill 57 until the court can rule on stopping implementation of the legislation entirely as an infringement on Métis rights under Sect. 35 of the Constitution Act.
Bill 57 amends the Métis Settlement Act (MSA), decreasing the size, the composition, and mode of election of the general council. It alters the mode of elections of the settlement councils. It lowers the salaries of the councillors. It imposes service and associated costs on settlement councils. It significantly limits the ability of settlement councils to incur a deficit. And it removes the Indigenous Relations minister from decision-making power on any financial policies related to the MSGC.
MSGC President Herb Lehr doesn't know what the price tag will be for the court battle he says they never wanted.
“It's more than I can afford, but what are your rights worth? That's the big question of the day,” he said.
At the heart of the MSGC's court action is the lack of consultation that took place between the settlements and the province for amendments to the MSA, they argue, and Alberta's decision to unilaterally prepare the legislation.
“The MGSC asserts the Government of Alberta used the pandemic to avoid engagement and consultation that would need to occur with the settlements and unilaterally moved ahead with amendments,” said the MSGC in a news release today.
“That's why we couldn't understand why they could feel so confident that what they were doing was right,” Lehr told Windspeaker.com in a telephone interview.
Lehr says they even suggested that Indigenous Relations Minister Rick Wilson take the amendments to membership through a plebiscite “if they were so confident Bill 57 was appropriate.” That didn't happen.
As far as Lehr is concerned, Premier Jason Kenney's UCP government has embraced a colonial approach.
“I look at this and I just see residential school all over again. Here's someone deciding for us. Where is democracy?” said Lehr.
The MSGC is comprised of eight Métis settlements. Lehr says five of the eight settlements approved the court action. One settlement didn't support the action because they wanted it “stronger,” he said. Another did not provide reasons for not supporting and a third settlement was not present for the vote.
The Statement of Claim indicates that up until early March 2020 “Alberta's practise had been to consult extensively with Métis Settlements and obtain their consent through the Settlements Councils and the General Council.”
In 2019 and 2020, says the statement, the MSGC informed the province that as “significant and far reaching” changes that could impact the fiscal obligations and self-government arrangements for the settlement councils and general council were being discussed “extensive community consultation” was required.
When COVID-19 hit, MSGC and the settlement councils prioritized responding to the emergency needs of members and further discussions had to be put on the backburner.
“Despite this, the Government of Alberta informed the General Council that Alberta would move forward with unilateral changes to the legislation,” reads the statement.
This resulted in a “number of significant changes” without consent from the MSGC.
Decreasing the number of councillors, said Lehr, “would then fetter our ability to be able to continue to pursue both federal and provincial governments as a collectivity” with less people who can focus on issues on a full-time basis.
He also points out that councillors' salaries aren't paid by provincial or federal taxpayers, but instead come from the settlements' Future Fund and Resco Oil and Gas, a company owned by the eight Métis settlements. The Future Fund is managed by the MSGC and was created from litigation against the province, which resulted in an out-of-court settlement.
“That was our money. So now someone wants to make changes to your government that you're paying for? That's pretty forward of someone in my mind. If someone is paying their own way on those things, then what right do you have to jump in there and change things?” said Lehr.
That Bill 57 pulls the Indigenous Relations minister out of financial commitments is rather timely, says Lehr, considering the $85 million, 10-year Long Term AgreementMSGC has with the province has only two years left.
“He didn't remove himself from all policies, he only removed him from the financial allocation policy and we are supposed to be doing an eight-year review of the LTA where that review is already showing that the province was negligent when it came to financial sustainability of the communitiesâ€¦So they're not liable for not living up to the responsibilities they had under the LTA,” said Lehr.
“In passing the Amendment Act (Bill 57) without the General Council's agreement, Alberta failed to uphold the Honour of the Crown,” reads the Statement of Claim. The government has 20 days to reply.
This is the second court action initiated against the province by a Métis organization in two months.
In June, the Métis Nation of Alberta began litigation against the UCP government and Indigenous Relations Minister Rick Wilson for refusing to continue negotiating a Métis consultation policy that the MNA was ready to sign right before the province changed governments.
Wilson's office was contacted late in the day for a comment on the MSGC court action. None was received.
Edmonton Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
While the saga regarding the detainment of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor by Chinese authorities may be at an end, the political fallout between the two countries as a result of it remains unclear.
An executive of Chinese global communications giant Huawei Technologies returned from Canada Saturday night following a legal settlement that also saw the release of two Canadians held by China, potentially bringing closure to a nearly 3-year-long feud embroiling Ottawa, Beijing and Washington.
While the release of the Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig is reason for celebration, there are many other Canadians still detained in China, with at least four having been sentenced to death.
A colleague of Michael Kovrig says that he's ‘thrilled’ to hear that the Canadian is finally home after being detained in China for more than 1,000 days.
The demographic makeup of COVID-19 cases in B.C. has shifted dramatically in recent weeks, with children under 10 years old now making up the biggest share of confirmed new infections in the province.
Four years before a mother and her 16-month-old son were killed in western Alberta, police had warned the public that a registered sex offender would be released and there was a chance he could harm 'a female, including children.'
The Taliban hanged a dead body from a crane parked in a city square in Afghanistan on Saturday in a gruesome display that signaled the hard-line group's return to some of its brutal tactics of the past.
Germany's closely fought election on Sunday will set the direction of the European Union's most populous country after 16 years under Angela Merkel, whose party is scrambling to avoid defeat by its center-left rivals after a rollercoaster campaign. The environmentalist Greens also are eyeing at least a share of power.
Family members and friends of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig can finally breathe a sigh of relief as the pair landed safely on Canadian soil for the first time in more than 1,000 days.
An Alberta Court of Queen's Bench justice has ruled that prospective jurors in an upcoming sexual assault trial in Calgary will be excused if they're not vaccinated against COVID-19.
Calgary police are looking for the public's help to learn more about a situation where a man climbed onto the balcony of a woman's home five times since August.
Humboldt Broncos bus crash father and organ donor advocate, Toby Boulet, is calling the province suspension of its organ donation program “devastating.”
The sixth annual National Drive Electric Week celebration in Regina aimed to dissolve common misconceptions around electric cars and promote their benefits for the environment.
New Brunswick is announcing another COVID-19 related death, as well as 61 new cases on Saturday.
Prince Edward Island announced one new COVID-19 case on Saturday.
Nova Scotia is scheduled to move into Phase 5 of its recovery plan on October 4 if all goes according to plan.
Search and rescue crews in Squamish have found the body of a teenager missing since Tuesday, local Mounties confirmed Saturday.
B.C. tightens documentation requirements: BC Vaccine Card with QR code required to access restaurants as of Monday
The province is tightening up its documentation requirements, which means the small paper vaccine records, given out at the time people received their vaccines, are no longer accepted.
Police cars could be seen blocking off an alleyway that serves as a popular pedestrian route near Commercial Drive and Venables Street in East Vancouver.
Despite nearly $20 million spent over the last five years to solve homeless issues in the North Bay area, a new report finds the funding has not provided many benefits for those experiencing homelessness.
Every year, the Ontario Heritage Trust works with communities throughout the province to open up unique and fascinating cultural sites so that the public can explore and learn about the history behind closed doors.
Sudbury police officers, retirees, civilians, volunteers, family, and friends took part in a peace officers memorial awareness run on Saturday. The event is part of a national event to honour peace officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
A Manitoba family is advocating for the province to cover a potentially life-changing treatment option for people living with Cystic Fibrosis.
A disturbing new report shows cases of sextortion have increased by 62 per cent over the last six months, with teen boys being the biggest target.
Two more Vancouver Island schools have been added to the regional health authority's list of COVID-19 clusters.
Mail ballots in one of British Columbia's most hotly contested ridings have confirmed the loss of one of the Green Party's two incumbent MPs heading into the election, and a victory for the NDP candidate in the riding.
John Ryzebol plays for more than just his ever-expanding family (two children, seven grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren). Since the start of the pandemic, he's been taking musical rides around the neighbourhood, playing harmonica from his scooter every day.
On Friday, the Ontario Ministry of Health (MOH) announced that they would now provide coverage for Trikafta, a drug that has been heralded as "golden goose" of cystic fibrosis treatments but can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Peel Public Health is asking guests that attended a wedding in the Greater Toronto Area last week to seek testing and self-isolate due to a confirmed COVID-19 exposure.
Overnight crimes involving gunfire, assault leave 19-year-old dead, another injured, and two arrested in Montreal
One person has died, injuries are being monitored and bullet casings were found following a slew of what appear to be violent crimes occurring overnight in Montreal.
After passage of a new law to limit anti-vax protests, a man picketed Quebec City high-school students anyway, while on Saturday, hundreds of Montrealers protested the new law.
'We have to confront our clients': Quebec bars and restaurants struggling with COVID-19 vaccine passport rollout
Two groups representing Quebec's bars and restaurants say that three weeks into the vaccine passport program, establishments have had enough and risk ruin if the government does not step in with financial assistance.
A combination of an afternoon rain, and a heavy police presence limited the amount of party-goers at Western University's Homecoming.
The Talbot Street Bridge claimed another victim Friday afternoon.
With public safety measures in place, university students in Waterloo Region gathered on Saturday for the first homecoming weekend since 2019.
Waterloo Regional Police have identified 18-year-old Joshua Bennett from Etobicoke as the man who was found dead in Kitchener on Friday morning.
Car dealerships in Waterloo Region admitted they are busier than ever but supply isn’t coming in fast enough to meet up with demand.