Fire officials are investigating a fire at a north side senior’s residence that claimed one life and left dozens homeless.

Crews were called to the Canora Gardens senior's residence, located on 101 Avenue and 151 Street, at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The blaze was reportedly out before 4 p.m.

The city says about 100 people lived in the 98-room, four-storey building. CTV News confirmed 98 residents were evacuated - some by ladder, as crews continued to battle the flames.

One person died during the rescue effort. City officials said the deceased is a woman in her 70s, who was not living in the suite.

AHS rushed a total of ten patients to hospital, all of whom were suffering from varying degrees of smoke inhalation.

Investigators said the fire was an accident, and started on a stovetop – when an element accidentally turned on and ignited a cardboard box.

The new occupant had been moving into the suite at the time.

The Red Cross said 36 individuals have been provided food, clothing, hygiene kits and medical equipment. Officials say volunteers will continue to work alongside local officials to determine if additional support is needed.

District Fire Chief Randy Shakura told CTV News 15 units responded to the scene Tuesday, in the neighbourhood of 60-70 firefighters.

The city said the nonprofit company that operates the complex, GEF Seniors Housing, will continue to assist displaced residents after the fire investigation wraps up.

Edmonton Emergency Relief Services is seeking donations for displaced residents; officials are looking for the following:

  • Clean clothing
  • Towels
  • Bedding
  • New toiletries
  • New underwear
  • New pillows
  • Financial donations, tax receipts will be provided

Volunteers are also required, the donation centre (10255 – 104 Street) will be open on Wednesday, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., for more information call 780-428-4422.

The building will require repairs and clean up before it is safe for residents to return to their homes. It is not yet known how long the repairs and cleanup will take.

Officials said the fire caused $1.5 million in damages, including extensive damage to the suite where the fire started and the hallway on the same floor.

Surrounding suites and stairways sustained smoke damage.

With files from David Ewasuk