Province announces changes to cabinet
Published Monday, February 4, 2013 11:51AM MST
Last Updated Monday, February 4, 2013 1:52PM MST
Alberta’s premier has announced her cabinet is changing, with two ministers taking on additional responsibilities, and two others out.
On Monday, the province said current Deputy Premier Thomas Lukaszuk would assume responsibilities as Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education, and Dr. Richard Starke would take over as Minister of Tourism.
In a statement, Premier Alison Redford referred again to the ‘bitumen bubble’ – and the effect falling resource revenues have had on the province’s financial stability.
“Recognizing the impact of falling resource revenues on our bottom line, my government will lead by example with a smaller, more focused cabinet,” Redford said in a press release. “These changes will allow us to continue to build Alberta by putting a priority on economic diversification and growth.”
Lukaszuk, who represents the riding of Edmonton-Castledowns, was elected to his fourth term as MLA in April, 2012 – and has served in a number of different ministries, such as Education, and Employment and Immigration.
Dr. Richard Starke was elected as MLA for the riding of Vermilion-Lloydminster in the last provincial election, and has served on a number of provincial committees.
The change means Ministers Christine Cusanelli and Stephen Khan, who had been in charge of the Tourism, Parks and Recreation and Enterprise and Advanced Education portfolios respectively are no longer in cabinet.