A fire at an eight-unit condo in west Edmonton has caused an estimated $350,000 in damage, according to fire investigators. An overheated frying pan is to blame for the early morning fire at 90 Avenue and 184 Street.

Fire crews were called to the condo around 7:40 a.m. Officials say it took crews about 40 minutes to get the fire under control.

"The crews did really good work. We were able to get on it quickly. We were able to use our ladder and effect some rescue if needed be, knocked the fire down quick and managed to contain it to a room or two," said Capt. Walter Gahler with Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.

No injuries were reported, but fire officials say a resident's cat died in the fire.

Extensive fire damage to the suite where the fire started has been reported as well as and smoke damage to the suite directly above it. Seven occupants have been affected by the fire.

One family has already made alternate living arrangements. And officials are still working to contact the occupants of the second-floor suite.

Once the building's owner restores power to the rest of the building, occupants from the remaining suites will be able to return to their residences.