Linda Whitworth with the Alberta Barley Commission shares some recipes featuring barley on CTV News at Noon including Barley Jambalaya.
Published Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:28AM MDT
Linda Whitworth with the Alberta Barley Commission shares three great recipes featuring barley on CTV News at Noon including Barley Jambalaya. Click here to learn more about Alberta Barley.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 lb (500 g) hot or mild Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut bite size
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (284 mL) can low salt chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) water
- 8 oz (250 g) cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped parsley
Directions: Cook sausage and chicken in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink (6 to 8 minutes). If necessary, drain fat from the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, oregano and chili powder; cook one minute. Stir in barley, tomatoes, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes. Stir in parsley.