Fresh Spring Salad
Published Monday, March 25, 2013 10:48AM MDT
Last Updated Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:26PM MDT
Barbara Lockert with Barb's Kitchen Centre whips up a tasty and fresh spring salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Click here to learn more about Barb's Kitchen Centre.
- Variety of lettuce, arugula, spinach, washed and torn into small pieces
- Zucchini or cucumber, washed and peeled into wide strips
- Carrots, washed, peeled if necessary, and julienned
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, washed and halved
- Eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- Leaf lettuce leaves, washed and left whole
Directions: Place whole leaf lettuce on a salad plate. Top with a variety of lettuce etc. for color. Curl and arrange zucchini or cucumber strips, julienned carrots, sliced egg and small tomatoes on the leaf lettuce. Grill a boneless, skinless, chicken breast or boneless pork chop. Slice thinly and place on top of the lettuce. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinaigrette, grind fresh pepper over salad and serve.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 2 ml
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 15 ml
- 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar 30 ml
- 1 tbsp brown sugar 15 ml
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 ml
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Directions: Put first five ingredients into a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Just before serving, shake well and drizzle over salad ingredients. Store dressing in refrigerator.