Summer Grilling with a Mexican Twist
Published Friday, May 10, 2013 1:13PM MDT
Last Updated Friday, May 10, 2013 3:03PM MDT
Time to grill! Barbara Barnes with Sobeys shares some grilling ideas with a Mexican twist including Banana-Lime Sundaes, Watermelon & Lime Agua Fresca, Zucchini & Bell Pepper Skewers and Chicken with Michelada Marinade.
Zucchini & Bell Pepper Skewers
- Compliments 10” Paddle Skewers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Compliments Cider Vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Compliments Oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Compliments Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dry mustard
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground ancho chile powder
- ¼ tsp ( 1 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Compliments canola Oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper
Directions: Soak skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Preheat gas or electric grill on medium heat. To prepare marinade, whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients (oregano through salt) in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil until blended; set aside. Trim ends off zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Slice zucchini crosswise into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
The pieces will be about 1x2 inches (2.5x5.0 cm) in size. Slice bell peppers in half. Remove stems, ribs and seeds. Cut peppers into pieces similar to the size of the zucchini pieces. Thread the zucchini and bell peppers alternately onto soaked skewers. Place skewers into a rectangular baking dish in a single layer. Pour marinade evenly over skewers.
Let stand, basting occasionally with marinade for 15 minutes. Remove skewers from marinade; discard marinade. Set skewers onto grill with the exposed portion of the skewers set over a long strip of Compliments Foil to
prevent burning. Grill skewers until vegetables are tender and grill marks are starting to form, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to a platter and serve.
Makes: 1 ½ cups (375 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) beer
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Compliments 30% Less Salt Soya
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Compliments Canola Oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Compliments Pure Honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Compliments Oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Compliments Thyme, crumbled
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Compliments Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Directions: To prepare marinade, combine all ingredients in a medium nonreactive bowl. Use as desired with chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, or boneless chicken breasts.
Watermelon & Lime Agua Fresca
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) cubed watermelon
- (1 inch/2.5cm)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1" bottle (750 mL) Sensations Carbonated
- Mineral Water, chilled
- Watermelon or lime wedges
Directions: Combine watermelon, lime juice, sugar and ½ cup (125 mL) water in a Blender. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into a pitcher. Carefully add mineral water. Serve immediately over ice, garnished with a watermelon or lime wedge.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime peel
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Compliments Pure Honey
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced bananas
- Compliments Balance Peach Mango Frozen
- ½ cup (125 mL) Compliments Flaked Sweetened
- Coconut, toasted & cooled
Directions: Combine lime juice, peel and honey in a large bowl. Stir in bananas until coated with juice mixture. Spoon frozen yogurt into serving bowls. Spoon banana mixture evenly over yogurt. Sprinkle coconut over top. Serve immediately.