Bean and Barley Salad
Published Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:31AM MDT
Last Updated Monday, April 22, 2013 3:26PM MDT
Linda Whitworth with the Alberta Barley Commission shares three great recipes featuring barley on CTV News at Noon including Black Bean Barley Salad. Click here to learn more about Alberta Barley.
Black Bean Barley Salad
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock or water
- 1 (540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (125 mL) corn kernels
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped chives
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Directions: In a medium saucepan, heat oil. Add barley and sauté 3 minutes. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes; drain and cool.
In a large bowl, combine cooked barley, beans, yellow pepper, tomatoes, corn and chives. In a small bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper; pour over barley mixture and toss. Serve on lettuce topped with shredded cheese.