After a day in court, a Grande Prairie judge reserved a decision on sentencing for a man who pleaded guilty to charges he faced in a collision that left four teens dead, and another seriously injured.

In a Grande Prairie court Tuesday, Brenden Holubowich, 23, pleaded guilty to four counts of dangerous driving causing death and one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

The charges were laid following a fatal crash on Highway 668, near Highway 40 in the early hours of October 22, 2011.

Four teenaged boys were killed in the crash – 16-year-olds Matthew Deller, and Vincent Stover, and 15-year-olds Walter Borden-Wilkins and Tanner Hildebrand.

A fifth teen, Zach Judd, was seriously injured in the collision, but has since recovered.

In court Tuesday, the defence and Crown Prosecutor submitted a joint recommendation for Holubowich’s sentence.

It was recommended Holubowich serve three years in jail, with a three year driving prohibition.

According to the agreed statement of facts, Holubowich had been drinking with friends before the collision – but the Crown and defence asked the judge to take into account that speed played a major role in the crash.

Court documents state Holubowich had been driving at 151 kilometres an hour, when the collision happened – the car carrying the teenagers had been making a U-turn when it was hit.

The four killed in the crash died from their injuries on the scene, and Judd was clinging to life when Holubowich fled the scene.

On Tuesday afternoon, court heard victim impact statements from a number of people affected by the crash.

Later that afternoon, the judge reserved a decision on Holubowich’s sentencing, saying after the emotional day in court, he would need the time to review the case.

Then, Holubowich had the chance to address the court – when he faced the families of the victims, and apologized for his actions, saying “I’d give anything to change the outcome of that night, I am truly sorry.”

Holubowich will spend the night in custody, and will hear his sentence in court Wednesday.

With files from Amanda Anderson