Barley & Wild Rice Pilaf with Scrambled Egg
Published Friday, April 19, 2013 12:31PM MDT
Last Updated Friday, April 19, 2013 2:25PM MDT
Chef Gail Hall of Seasoned Solutions whips up Barley and Wild Rice Two Ways - Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf as a side dish and Barley and Wild Rice with Scrambled or Fried Egg for lunch or dinner - on CTV News at Noon. Click here to learn more about Seasoned Solutions.
Barley and Wild Rice Pilaff (as a side dish)
- 1 cup Wild Rice, rinsed*
- 1 ½ cups Barley, rinsed
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic, crushed
- ½ cup Chopped Green Onions (scallions) **
- 2 to 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted to taste
- Salt and Pepper
Directions: Cook wild rice for 30 to 45 minutes in 3 to 4 cups water. Cook barley in 3 cups of water for 20 to 30 minutes. When tender, drain wild rice and barley and mix together. Heat olive oil in saucepan and sauté garlic and green for 2 minutes. Add to rice with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
* When cooking wild rice, always cook in lots of water and drain once the rice starts to flower and soften. Don’t let it cook dry or it will burn.
* When you are sautéing your green onions, you can add other vegetables to sauté at the same time such as diced bell pepper, asparagus or carrots.
Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf with Scrambled or Fried Egg
Directions: Same method and ingredients as above, for every 1 cup serving, top with a fried or scrambled egg.